Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Talk to the (left) hand.


I'm a lefty and proud of it. But I don't even know why. Maybe because there are only handful of them out there. 7% - 10% of the population and it is more common in female. But, it is also common in people with neurological disorder like autism and mental retardation and normal left-handers tend to be schizophrenic, alcoholic, delinquent, dyslexic, and have Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, as well as mental disabilities.(Now it's getting depressing, damn those researches. Huh)

Quite a few of the articles I found was saying left handed people are better fighters because people don't aspect a left hook and so they tend to be criminals or a delinquent. Some even list out names of left handed criminals and believe it Osama Bin Laden is one of them.

While I was browsing for more articles about left handedness, I found this questionnaires that has 80 questions about Multiple Intelligence Inventory and of course I did answered it because one of the earliest questions asked whether I'm right or left handed. The results tell me about 8 areas of learning with a percentage on it. It seems that I am a loser in every aspects. My highest score was 36% on maths and body/kinesthetic?

Okay, back on left handedness.

Let's talk about the greatness of left handed people.
"left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers."
"left-handedness also govern development of the language centers of the brain."
"left-handed could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses."
"study found that left-handed men are 15 percent richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26 percent richer if they graduated. The wage difference is still unexplainable and does not appear to apply to women" Well, that one I don't really like.

There are many famous left handers too. Well I know there are zillions of other famous right handed out there but given that we are minority and many of us are famous is actually quite impressive. Here are some names that doesn't need any introduction:
Leonardo da Vincci, Michealangelo, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Kurt Kobain, Paul McCartney, Maradona, and Valentino Rossi.

Some said left handedness is inherited. A friend of mine said it always skip a generation like if your father is left handed, you and your siblings won't be one but your children will. I don't know but it is totally true in my case.

Oh. Others also said left handers tend to be clumsy. Lol. Tell me about it. But that's not true, it is actually because most things around us are meant for right handers (like scissors and those desks and chairs that are joined together)and we the left handed people are having trouble adapting with it. Now I feel better.

Left handers are also associated with leadership. Which doesn't really occur to me. However, 60% of U.S presidents in the last thirty years have been left-handed, including Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain also happen to be left-handed. Yeah.

Gosh. I need to stop. Btw, August 13th is Left Handers day. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah! hidup left handed! :D
teringat ms kt tepeng dulu,anai jadi dlm grup minority sbb dlm row kite (ko,aku,ori,eni) sume leftie~ hahaha,gempak siut.

Dreamy Damsel said...

haha. btul2! bukan senang right handed jd minority. :P