Monday, August 11, 2008

Liar Liar



I wonder why do people lie because I have been lying a lot lately to save my ass. It is said that in the western countries (i guess) if you cross your finger while lying it doesn't count. If life is that simple.

It concerns me because it has become some sort of habit in my daily life. I like to please people and I hate to be rejected or being said no to. It kills my confidence. So, when I was in primary and early secondary school, I like to go out with my friends and my mom seldom let me. I mean rarely. In order to appear innocent and still get what I want. I lied. I guess that's when it all started and today I'm an expert.

My brother is now in form four and he, like me is facing the same problem which is being restricted from going out and he will try his best begging my mom to let him. Sometimes he'll get the permission and most of the time he didn't get it. But.. never once he tried to lie. Last week there was this big gig called mocca (i think) and all his friends are going and he has been begging like crazy but still didn't get the chance. If I were him..

So what am I?

That question appears out of my own guilt. People trust me and I always get away with it. I'm being selfish just because I'm too afraid to tell or face the truth. I need to stop.

I did some research and surprisingly there are many types of lies and I've pasted some of it. However, lying in any intention is wrong no matter how you classify it. Truth need to be told. No one likes to be lied to.

Bald-faced lie
A bald-faced (or barefaced or boldfaced) lie is a lie that is told when it is obvious to all concerned that it is a lie. For example a child who has chocolate all over his face and denies that he has eaten the last piece of chocolate cake is a bald-faced liar.

Lying by omission
One lies by omission by omitting an important fact, deliberately leaving another person with a misconception. Lying by omission includes failures to correct pre-existing misconceptions. A husband may tell his wife he was out at a store, which is true, but lie by omitting the fact that he also visited his mistress.

Lie-to-children
A lie-to-children is a lie, often a platitude that may use euphemism(s), that is told to make an adult subject acceptable to children. A common example is "The stork brought you."


White lie

A white lie would cause no discord if it were uncovered and offers some benefit to the liar, the hearer, or both. White lies are often used to avoid offense, such as telling someone that you think that their new outfit looks good when you actually think that it is a horrible excuse for an outfit. In this case the lie is told to avoid the harmful implications and realistic implications of the truth. As a concept it is largely defined by local custom and cannot be clearly separated from regular lies with any authority. As such, the term may have differing meanings in different cultures. Lies that are harmless but told for no reason are generally called white lies.

Exaggeration
An exaggeration occurs when the most fundamental aspect(s) of a statement is true, but the degree to which it is true is not correct. An example of this kind of lie is when someone says they are so hungry they could eat a horse.


So, this is my first post didn't expect it to turn out this way. I've been meaning to do this for a long time.

2 comments:

tawfeq said...

a new blogger in the town.
just post something controversial, you will be hit by dozens of comments. ;-) nice post

Dreamy Damsel said...

haha. my first response. didnt think anyone will notice yet. thx~